Whiz Kids Workshop PLC- Chief Program Officer Fellow
Whiz Kids Workshop PLC
Chief Program Officer Fellow
Website: www.whizkidsworkshop.com | Sector: Private | Area of Work: Education
- Facebook: @TsehaiLovesLearning, @tibebgirls
- Twitter: @TsehaiLL, @TibebGirls
- Instagram: @tsehailoveslearning, @tibebgirls
Additional Background: About Tsehai
Core Mission: To educate children and youth in a fun and positive way, on a mass-scale, though creation and dissemination of innovative, entertaining and culturally relevant educational media and materials.
ABOUT THE PARTNER
Larger Social Impact in Ethiopia: According to the 2016/17 statistical data of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Ministry of Education, and the total number of primary schools in Ethiopia is 35,838. Data from same document shows that there are 7, 769,989 children between the age of 4-6.
In Ethiopia, as the Early Grade Reading Assessment conducted in 2010 by USAID shows, in each of the 8 regions, excluding Addis Ababa and Dire Dawa city Administrations, at least 80% of children were not reading at the expected oral reading fluency rate.
A study has shown that about 350,000 children die each year and more than 90 percent of these deaths are due to preventable or treatable causes such as pneumonia, diarrhea, malaria, malnutrition and HIV/AIDS.
Whiz Kids Workshop addresses the aforementioned problems through designing, production, dissemination and implementation of age appropriate, context-specific educational media materials. Whiz Kids reaches over 5,000,000 children through radio and TV broadcast while it impacts over 200,000 children in school settings, reaching 412 public primary and pre-primary schools. The children are equipped with basic health knowledge which reduced their vulnerability to communicable diseases, emergency and non-communicable diseases as well as mental health issues. A program that addresses over 23,000 children in 40 public primary and pre-primary schools, targets at improving students’ reading skills.
Organizational Culture & Management Style:
We strive and work to reach millions of children through our education. We believe in equipping a generation for a better nation and better Africa through creating and innovating culturally relevant, educational and entertaining content. We understand that growing up should be a memorable and delightful experience for kids, that is why we make sure to share knowledge in a fun and joyful way and our work captures the hearts and minds of Ethiopian and African children as a whole. We love what we do and it shows in our work. WKW has a positive working dynamics that creates a conducive environment to create a mutual understanding and self-corrective behavior among coworkers.it gives a spaces for Active participation of team members towards the achievement of the set goals with a high sense of ownership. As a member of a team; one will be able to takes action that respects the needs and contributions of others; subordinates own needs and builds cohesive team relations.
WKW is mainly run by participative management style that aims at building a consensus and commitment among employees. The management strives to show exemplary acts for its fellow employees in order to create a smooth and motivating working environment.
Logistics: Gerji mebrat hayle
ABOUT THE POSITION
Fellowship Position: We would like a Program Officer to work closely with our staff to mentor, encourage and help develop our programming. We will assign the fellow on his/her field of expertise and experience. We will provide the essential support in the course of assignment. (See HERE for more info)
Expected Deliverables during 6-months:
- Working closely with the Program Manager, Production Coordinator, and Commerce Head to build their skills and confidence so that they can mentor, encourage, and motivate all staff.
- Create and support a high performing culture in the departments aligned with WKW core values
- Ensure the delivery of qualitative and quantitative goals and outcomes of programs
- Promotion of the organization’s positive image in partnership and networking event
- Collaborates and networks with other stakeholders such as Government ministries and departments, donor agencies, NGOs and private sector organizations
- Provide assistance and guidance for all departments on how to troubleshoot program and staff performance challenges
- . Oversee the coordination, integration, and delivery of all programs, contracts and related services promoting collaborative relationships between program areas and ensuring that the expectations of funders, partners, constituents, clients, and other stakeholders are consistently met
- . Track daily performance of each department
- . Assist in achieving Reach For Change milestone targets for an effective solution
Qualifications & Reporting:
- Reports to: Bruktawit Tigabu, C.E.O
- Work Style: A mix of both independent work and teamwork
- Education: B.A or B.S, M.A (or any other Master-level degree), M.B.A; degrees in Business, Social Work / Sociology / Psychology, Marketing / Communications, Public Policy, Political Science
- Professional & Technical Skills:
- Strong written communication skill; ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals
- Attention to detail
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies
- Self-starter, able to think creatively to solve problems
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Takes a data-driven approach to business decisions
- Ideal Personality Characteristics:
- Is analytical and forward thinking
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Has great problem solving skills
- Thinks outside of the box to solve problems
- Is hardworking and extremely organized
- Amharic: Expert (fluent) in speaking, limited knowledge of reading and writing
- English: Expert speaking and writing
Skills and values the fellow may gain from this position:
- Analytical/ Problem solving skills
- Strategic leadership
- Teamwork / collaboration
- Working with WKW will enhance and broaden a fellow’s scope to work systematically and logically to resolve problems, address opportunities, or manage the situation at hand.
- She/he will establish and develop opportunities and takes action to build partnerships and relationships between one’s own area, teams, and departments to achieve targeted goals.
Above all, working with WKW will grant a lifetime opportunity to put your footprint on the process equipping a generation for a better nation.