Fields marked with an * are required
This is the 2017 Ethiopian Diaspora Fellowship application. Please read the eligibility requirements and all application directions carefully BEFORE YOU BEGIN. You will not be able to save your application and come back at another time to finish it, so be sure you have the required documents ready and short answer responses prepared. We highly suggest downloading and using the Fellowship Application Preparation Worksheet and completing the short answer responses with the correct word count in a Word document prior to beginning the online application.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
The application process consists of 4 sections;
- Directions: This includes background of EDF, background of program, financial obligations, eligibility requirements, requirements of fellowship, selection process, and timeline.
- Project Descriptions: This Project Descriptions Guide will provide you information on the partners available, service projects and a list of qualifications needed to serve at that partner organization.
- Application: Application consists of background questions, short answer responses, resume/CV, and the contact information for 3 professional references.
- Payment: Application fee is due upon submission HERE.
- $20 for applications received from April 29 - May, 10 at 11:59 pm PST.
- $25 for applications received from May, 11 - May, 17 at 11:59 pm PST.
- $30 for applications received from May, 18th - June, 2nd 11:59 pm PST.
Only applications that are paid in full will be reviewed. Please email email@example.com if you have any issues with your application fee.
All three sections of this application need to be completed to be considered for the fellowship. All questions about this application should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications should be submitted by 11:59 pm PST by June 2nd, 2017.
What is Ethiopian Diaspora Fellowship?
Ethiopian Diaspora Fellowship is a nonprofit organization that equips young diaspora professionals with leadership, service, and creative storytelling skills. EDF is an agent for positive change by connecting talented professionals with organizations and people in Ethiopia through transformative, 6-month fellowships.
What are the program components?
Fellows are trained on leadership development, service-oriented skills, creative storytelling skills, identity development, intercultural professional and personal relationship building, and conflict communication prior to the start of the fellowship. In Ethiopia, fellows will have continuous trainings from partner organizations as well as opportunities to train partner organization staff on a variety of topics. Additionally, Fellows utilize creative storytelling during the fellowship, as a reflection process for identity development and opportunity to tell the Ethiopian experience story.
What does the fellowship include?
- Training curriculum
- Housing during training in Los Angeles, CA
- Transportation in Los Angeles, CA
- Round trip plane ticket from Los Angeles to Addis Ababa
- Rent/housing (including housekeeping staff) expenses for six months in Ethiopia
- Daily breakfast and dinner
- Continued leadership, service, and creative storytelling training in Ethiopia
- Transportation to and from fellowship placement in Addis Ababa
If you're covering all that, what do you need from me?
- EDF requires a $400 non-refundable program fee upon acceptance as a fellow
- A fellow will also be responsible for crowdfunding an additional $900 through the Crowdrise platform (provided by EDF) for a total of $1,300 program fee
- Transportation to Los Angeles, California for training
- Food for 7-days in Los Angeles, California for training
- Health Insurance
In order to be eligible for EDF, applicants at the minimum must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Most fellows are between 23 - 30 years old
- Be of Ethiopian origin (by either both or one parent)
- Be a legal resident or citizen of the United States
- Have had completed at least 2 years of post-secondary schooling*
- Demonstrate a desire to serve and lead their generation of Ethiopian diaspora
- Have professional skills and experience for a partner project
The 2017 cohort will be visionaries who make their dreams and EDF's future a reality. Ideal fellows demonstrate a pronounced desire to serve and lead their generation. They will have specific ideas about what they will offer to organizations, have a general understanding of the Ethiopian culture, and demonstrate flexibility and patience in challenging environments. They are collaborative, supportive, and engaging in nature, and know how to be a team player.
*Technical skill, professional experience, Associate’s or technical degree will be considered in lieu of two years of undergraduate degree.
REQUIREMENTS OF FELLOWSHIP
- You are required to attend all training sessions.
- You are required to live in the same housing with the other fellows (5 in total).
- You are required to attend your service project as needed by the partner organization.
- You are required to participate in the storytelling process and all other EDF discussions and projects.
- You are required to sign a fellowship contract detailing the program obligations and expectations.
THE SELECTION PROCESS & TIMELINE
Here is a general timeline of the process:
- Applications open: April 29, 2017
- Applications close: June 2, 2017
- Reference checks and interviews (for semi-finalists): June 12th- June 23rd
- Selected Fellows & Alternates Notified: June 26, 2017
- Fellowship Acceptance/Partnership Acceptance deadline: July 2nd, 2017
- Fellowship prep (online training, readings, phone calls - requires 2-5 hours week): July 9th- July 30th
- Mandatory training in Los Angeles: 2nd week of August (Approximately 7 days, dates TBD)
- Fellows will go to Ethiopia: Third week of August 2016 (directly from L.A training)
- Begin working for partner organization: August 21, 2017
- Final Training: Last week of February 2018
- Fellowship program complete Last week of February 2018
We would like to know your prior personal experiences. This will help us build the training curriculum and place you at the correct partner organization based in Addis Ababa. We encourage diaspora with all levels of familiarity with Ethiopia to apply--both those who have been and who have not been to Ethiopia are eligible. EDF fellows are collaborative and interdependent with cohort and EDF staff and advisors. We encourage you to think about this aspect of EDF’s organizational culture as you write your responses.
Although not required, we would like to know your language capabilities. This will help us build the training curriculum and place you at the correct partner organization based in Addis Ababa.
Please tell us more about yourself by answering the following questions. Answer each question in 350 words or less.
Please tell us more about your professional self in the following questions. Answer each question in 350 words or less.
Please tell us how you are going to fulfill the fellowship requirements. Answer each question in 350 words or less.
Please rank in order which these fellowships interest you:
For the Win
Submitting Your Application Fee
*You must submit your application fee within 24 hours of submitting this application to be considered.
Submit your application fee here. Please remember to submit the correct amount based on the date of application.
$20 for applications received from April 29 - May 10 at 11:59 pm PST
$25 for applications received from May, 11 - May, 17 at 11:59 pm PST
$30 for applications received from May, 18th - June, 2nd 11:59 pm PST